Little Star Homeschool

"Do not train children to learning by force and harshness, but direct them to it by what amuses their minds, so that you may be better able to discover with accuracy the peculiar bent of the genius of each." Plato

Yesterday we hopped on a train to London. Robert wanted to go on the tube and see the lines featured in Underground Ernie Although I have visited London before a trip on the underground was a first for me too.

Our route: Piccadilly Line to Leicester Square. Change to the Northern Line for the Embankment where we had lunch. Back on the tube, Circle line to St James' Park. Circle Line to South Kensington for the Science Museum. Return to St. Pancras via the Circle Line, this time taking the longer route through Paddington to pass through as many different stations as we could.

The first train was very crowded and hot, standing room only. Robert wasn't too happy but the journey was short and quick. The next trains had seats available from time to time and weren't crowded at all. We had fun trying to 'beat' the ticket barriers. Robert's travel on the tube was free so he had to go through the automatic barriers in front of me. I got as close to the barrier as I could, reaching back for the ticket as it popped up. This meant that I invariably got my bottom trapped in the closing barrier as I tried to get through it. Some stations had an attendant to swipe the barrier to let kids through but most didn't. The day rover tickets John and I used were good value for money at £10.50 for both, giving us unlimited travel in Zone 1.

John helped Robert with the escalators, they are faster than those at home and I learned that you have to stand on the right to let people in a hurry overtake. I have never climbed so many stairs before. My legs are still aching as I type.

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

About this blog

My Blog List

Followers

DAILY CARTOON click to enlarge
ANDERTOONS.COM FAMILY CARTOONS